A good mattress is crucial for a good night’s sleep and good back health. With this in mind, choosing a bed mattress the provides the right support and is comfy to sleep on is a must. Buying a new mattress is not a cheap investment so take your time to determine which one will work best for your needs. However, the wide range of options, types, and manufacturers don’t make picking one so easy. Luckily, there are a few things to keep in mind when buying the mattress that will provide you with a good night’s sleep for years to come.
As for the lifespan of your new mattress and how durable it will be, it all depends on the material it is made of. Typically, the innerspring, waterbed and pillowtop mattresses last about seven years, the air bed has a lifespan of eight years while the hybrid, memory foam and latex come with the longer lifespan of 10+ years.
Determine your budget
As we mentioned before, buying a new mattress is not a small investment but also it does not necessarily need to cost you a fortune. For example, a bed mattress that costs $2500 can start to lose its support after using it for a couple of years. On the other hand, a mattress that costs $850 may provide you with better support and serve you for many years to come. When it comes to bed mattresses, comfort doesn’t necessarily have to come at a higher price, so try out different models and get the one that best suits your body type and preferences.
- Innerspring – This is the most traditional type of mattress and also one of the most affordable ones on the market. Another good thing about this mattress is that is known to last for decades. It is durable and tends to keep its shape for many years. Plus, it enables great air circulation which enables you a good night’s sleep. It is ideal for people who want durability, strong support, great bounce and cooling from a mattress.
- Latex – This mattress is known for its amazing comfort level and cooling. Natural latex mattresses are more environmentally-friendly and healthy but they are also more expensive. Synthetic ones, on the other hand, are less expensive but they’re also less healthy.
- Memory foam – This material was invented by NASA and has been used as a safety material for seat cushions. Since then, the material has become extremely popular among all mattress makers. What makes this mattress so popular is its ability to uniquely conform to every part of your body. Also, it offers great motion isolation capabilities but the material itself retains heat. So, if you want to enjoy a cool night’s sleep, this mattress may not be the right choice for you. It is best for people who want contour, body shaping, good support, and pressure relief.
- Hybrid – Being a mix of both – memory foam and innerspring, these bed mattresses offer the best of both worlds. They have a lot of good sides but one of their downsides may be their high price. However, they are the best choice for people who want a mattress that has a good bounce, support, pressure relief, and cooling.
- Adjustable – This type of mattress allows you to change your sleeping position according to your personal preferences. With it, you can elevate your feet or head which is not something you can do with a regular mattress. This makes it a perfect choice for people who suffer from chronic lumbar pain as it provides them with extra comfort. Also, other people that can benefit from buying an adjustable mattress are people with snoring issues, lower back pain, and older people.