Keeping one’s hair healthy and shiny requires effort, time and the use of various supposedly helpful products. But, do you know what the main ingredients in those products are? The truth is that most of us choose these products by simply looking at the name and short description and we barely look at the ingredient label. Unfortunately, many common and popular bands offer hair care products that contain harmful ingredients that not only contribute to dryness and split ends but are also harmful to the environment.
So, if you still haven’t made the switch, now is the time to start using the right products. And when I say right, I mean natural and vegan. What makes vegan products for hair care better than other options? A lot of things. First off, vegan hair care products contain no nasty chemicals that can irritate your scalp or cause allergic reactions. They don’t contain any harmful chemicals like parabens, sulphate or artificial colours and fragrances. Instead, they contain only natural ingredients full of vitamins and nutrients that bring shine and strength to your hair.
Who Can Use Vegan Hair Products?
Basically anyone. Vegan products for hair care don’t have harsh, nasty ingredients which makes them a perfect choice not just for adults but also for children who are more susceptible to these ingredients. Believe it or not, hair loss sometimes can be a result of using regular branded shampoo. On the other hand, vegan hair products are usually completely organic which makes them good for people who are dealing with hair loss. Apart from being great for your hair, they’re beneficial for your overall health as well.
How Can You Find Real Vegan Products?
Once you dive into the hair care products offline and online stores offer, you will find plenty of them labelled as “100% natural” or “BIO”, but are they vegan? Natural doesn’t necessarily mean vegan. Vegan haircare and skincare brands don’t put any animal ingredients into their products and moreover they don’t test the ingredients or the end product on animals. Also, they don’t sell their products in countries that require testing. On the other hand, there is another confusion. Cruelty-free doesn’t mean vegan. Cruelty-free products are not tested on animals but they may still contain animal ingredients in the content.
What are the Things Vegan Products Don’t Contain?
Even though some brands claim their products are vegan, if they contain some of these sneaky animal products, they are far from it.
- Biotin is enriched texturiser that may come from yeast and milk, so look for one that is derived from berries, carrots and members of the lettuce family.
- Cetyl alcohol is a waxy substance derived from dolphins and whales. But also it can be replaced by plant cetyl alcohol that can be found in coconut and palm oil.
- Gelatin is derived from boiled animals carcasses but can be replaced by certain mosses or kelp and seaweed.
- Hyaluronic acid is made from synovial joint fluid and umbilical cords. On the other hand, certain vegetables and soy are natural sources of it.
- Keratin is harvested from hooves, skin, hair, horns and feathers, but there are plenty of natural oils and herbs that provide the same restorative benefits.
- Stearic acid comes from animal fat but can be replaced by shea butter and cocoa or can be made from palm oil.
Benefits of Vegan and Cruelty-free Hair Products
- Nourishing ingredients – As already mentioned, these products are made with nourishing ingredients like jojoba oil and coconut oil, which make your hair look shiny while moisturizing the follicles. The anti-oxidant properties of these natural oils reverse hair damage while nourishing your scalp and preventing further damage and conditions like dandruff and dry scalp. Other natural ingredients like aloe vera stimulate growth and prevent issues like hair loss.
- Environment-friendly – Aside from being good for your hair and overall health condition, by using vegan products you are protecting the environment by reducing the use of non-biodegradable ingredients. The natural ingredients in vegan products break down easily preventing damage to water resources and land. Also, most of these products are packed in sustainable packaging making them 100% eco-friendly.
- Fortified with essential oils – Vegan products don’t contain artificial fragrances and colours and instead of them, they are fortified with essential oils. They don’t just give shampoos and conditioners a pleasant smell but they also nourish your scalp and hair and promote stress-relief and relaxation. For example, vegan shampoos with lavender oil have strong anti-inflammatory properties and can prevent scalp infections. Also, this can boost blood circulation in the scalp promoting healthy growth.
Because of all their benefits, vegan shampoos are a growing trend today. So, if you haven’t tried one yet, it’s time to give this new trend a chance. Do your research and find a trustworthy store that sells high-quality vegan shampoos and other natural hair care products that are infused with natural ingredients and nourishing oils.